Friday, September 4, 2015

I am the Weakest Link

I am the Weakest Link

As a fall chill begins to hit the air, and the September Labour Day long weekend approaches, I find myself reflecting on the summer.  The days have gone all too quickly, with so many trips and adventures still on the wish list!  This has been a monumental summer for us in many ways.  We have watched our “flock of baby birds” with awe, pride and sometimes a sense of terror and foreboding as they have embarked on their own adventures.

Discover Outdoors
Family Kayak Trip - Sechelt 
It seems like yesterday we were packing diapers, soothers, stuffies and SNACKS into our back packs – (essential survival items for outdoor travel with toddlers).   Now, we find ourselves anxiously awaiting trip reports and news from our adult children as they cycle to Mexico, paddle the waters of BC and guide in the unpredictable waters of the Hecate Strait, off Haida Gwaii.

Discover Outdoors
Bunny Boyz arrive at the border to Mexico

Discover Outdoors
Adam leads a Ridge Wilderness Group in a Moving Water Canoe Course

Discover Outdoors
Emma strolls the beach during a Moresby Explorers Tour

Rob and I feel such a sense of pride as we watch Ian, Adam and Emma embrace the outdoors and challenge themselves to take risks and seek adventure.  However, it has become abundantly clear that I am now the weakest link.  In all honesty, I have probably been the weakest link for quite a long time, but it was this summer that it became obvious - even to me!  I began to notice everyone asking if I was all right, if I needed help.  While I am comforted by the fact that my family cares about me, it is quite unsettling to realize that I am the one that is slowing the pace of the group, and the one that the group worries about most.


Our style of out tripping has definitely evolved from those early years.  We are no longer about the speeds and distance or the weight of the pack.  And yes, it is a little harder to roll out of that sleeping bag on a cold and rainy morning, but at the risk of sounding cliché, we are taking time to smell the roses.  So, as we begin to plan our next trip, we may shorten our mileage, walk a few hills and accept help when offered. 

San Juan Islands Kayaking
San Juan Islands

San Juan Islands Kayaking
Rob sets up camp


YES - I am the Weakest Link….. and I think I love my new role!  Now, could someone please help me with this heavy pack?

Hiking Mount Baker
I am the Weakest Link

No comments:

Post a Comment